Baby survives after pregnant Chicago mother fatally shot in drive-by shooting

Baby survives after pregnant Chicago mother fatally shot

Fourth Estate Staff

Chicago, IL, United States (4E) – A pregnant Chicago woman was fatally shot in a drive-by shooting on Sunday evening and the father of her child was also critically injured but the baby was able to survive and was delivered safely.

According to reports, the shooting took place in the South Chicago neighborhood and the woman was identified as 19-year-old Parasha Beard. Beard was six months pregnant when she was fatally shot and also had another child, a four-year-old daughter.

Beard was said to be sitting inside a car that was parked in the 8700-block of South Marquette Avenue at around 6 P.M. on Sunday. Police officials said that another vehicle pulled up alongside the parked car and someone inside started to open fire. Beard was shot in the neck while the father of the infant, a 26-year-old unidentified man, was shot in the neck and the chest. The father is in critical condition.

According to the Chicago Fire Department, the father is a documented gang member but no additional details are available about him. The suspect in the shooting is said to be a black man with dreadlocks. It remains unknown what the relationship of the suspect is to the couple and what the motive behind the shooting is.

Beard was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital but succumbed to her injuries after her baby was delivered. Beard was supposed to be due in December.

The family of Beard named the baby Miracle and the child is said to be doing well. The baby girl is said to have weighed only two pounds when delivered. The mother of Beard, Crystal Jones, said in a statement, “They came and ended her life in broad daylight. They shot her up in front of my house in broad daylight. I just want justice and peace.” Jones added that her daughter was an outgoing person and set goals for herself.

Friends and loved ones left flowers, a statue of the Virgin Mary, and stuffed toys in front of the home where the incident took place.

Investigators are now reviewing a surveillance video that could lead them to the suspect. There is no person of interest yet.

(Visited 75 times, 1 visits today)